Pre Production Report
Introduction
Introduction
I will be making will be a 1 minute short film within the horror genre. It will be entitled Brothers
My company has been obliged to make a detailed report outlining the things that will be required including equipment that is essential for the production of my 1 minute short film. My company is called 'Brothers' It will be privately funded by a large funding platform called Kickstarter.
My film synopsis is: A note is left by the someone (brother) to go and retrieve a watch from the woods, he leaves details of its where abouts (marked with an X) As he goes to the spot where the watch is and starts to dig he finds the watch but sees a piece of cloth underneath it buried into the grown even more. He then decides to dig it up to then find out it is his brother.
My film synopsis is: A note is left by the someone (brother) to go and retrieve a watch from the woods, he leaves details of its where abouts (marked with an X) As he goes to the spot where the watch is and starts to dig he finds the watch but sees a piece of cloth underneath it buried into the grown even more. He then decides to dig it up to then find out it is his brother.
I will have to schedule days that my actors and the rest of my production team are available to film, I will also have to find out what days I can book the equipment from school and how long I can book it for. Lastly I will need to ring the council to see if I can use one of their public places to film as another pre production task.
Finance
My direct source of finance will be from a larger funding platform which I mentioned earlier called Kickstarter, they help young people with ideas to get their ideas of the ground. This will provided for things such as transport, food, props and extra equipment if necessary.
Considering the fact that the majority of my equipment will be provided by the school through hiring it for a limited amount of time. I will have a budget between £20 - £50 which I will use for extra things that will be needed on set e.g. tripods or steadicams.
Finance is required because it allows you to broaden your choices when filming for example to buy extra props or more equipment.
Specifically I would need to budget for food and drinks for my crew and cast, additional travelling costs if needed such as train tickets or for some of the members on my team who have turned 18 and have to use an adult Oyster card. Like is said earlier a budget ranging between £20 and £50 would be ideal as this would cover the majority of the things we may need.
To raise the money I would I would apply for Kickstart so they could fund my 1 minute short film to get off the ground, I think this source would be acceptable because Kickstarter has a reliable reputation of being the go to company for starting projects, especially youth projects.
Procedures I would need to take of course would to apply for a Kickstarter fund and sell my idea to them. If that does not go to plan I will pitch to investors to see if they like my idea and are willing to fund the project.
Production companies/managers organise what is required by either buying the equipment with the funding they have been given or by renting equipment from other big companies, for example since drone cameras are quite expensive a production manager may consider renting one to save costs for the budget. This could considerably save the team a lot of money.Because we are college students we will get most of our equipment for free but industry professionals would have to spend quite a wide range of money for example almost a minimum of £1,198.80 as one of the cheapest for a good filming camera. A good lighting kit also would cost around £280, this clearly shows that the budget will probably be around £3500. Secondly in college
we have free access to an editing sweet and won't have to pay location fees as we are students In the
media industry editing suites would need to be rented out and this could cost around £175 per day
which means time may be limited. Locations will also need to be payed for as councils may want
money after the production company got access to film in their location this could cost up to £50.
Time
The consequences of missing deadlines are the fact that you will be wasting your time and money along with your crews.
Missing a deadline could land you in serious problems for example if you book an editing suite for 2 days to get the
whole of your editing sequence complete and you miss both days the you have possibly wasted around £350 which has eaten away
your budget.
If you miss a payment for when you're supposed to pay the money for the editing suite for example this could lead to the company suing you and then taking you to court eventually. this can also give you a bad reputation for future times when you need to book things out.To keep within time and not miss deadlines, the most ideal thing to do would be to create a production schedule so me and my team know what days we are film or doing post production tasks etc. Book equipment for times that we know we will use it and confirm with the crew whether this will be a good idea or not, and also create soft deadlines for ourselves so we keep on the right track and keep everything organised Lastly I would need to justify edit times, so I do not go off task whilst editing or miss the time when I am supposed to be there..
Procedures involved would include breaking down each different shot into different locations that we have chosen. This will create a smooth and easy filming session because will not be stressing trying to get everything filmed in one day. Breaking down editing to hit last deadlines would be convenient because it helps make everything more organised and allows us to have time to breathe and concentrate on the editing properly.
Production managers organise what is required by creating tables/calendars and using things such as set up days. planning each day to assign to something else to do with the production tasks.
What needs to be scheduled during -
Pre - When the storyboard should be started and finished by so the rest of the activities can follow, the script with the lining on it as well and shooting schedule so the whole team knows when we will be filming.
Prod - days for when the actual short film can be filmed
Post - Booking an editing suite would need to need to consider for post production
Crew and Personal
People required in my crew include - A director, cameraman (camera operator), production manager, lighting technician.
The director will need to keep everything in check and get the vision of the script writer out. The cameraman would obviously be in control of controlling the camera and following the storyboard.
The production manager organises and sources what is required through making sure everything is produced at the right fees and coordinating everything.
My crew will also be a bit smaller due to limited budget so I cannot hire extra people as part of the production team.
Myself - Producer
James - Director
Kenny - Camera Operator
Facilities
Facilities that would be needed include an editing suite where we can edit all footage, shooting equipment to actual get the footage, this includes things such as cameras, lights, shoulder cams and tripods. This allows me to actually bring my preproduction ideas to life. I would need to ensure that the editing suite has up to date softwares such as Final Cut Pro X so I can edit the footage to perfection and create meaning in the shots with continuity.
All of these facilities would be needed so I can bring the short film to life, also to make it look and seem as professional as possible.
To obtain all of this I will need to see a media technician or someone who owns these facilites to see whether I can use them and converse about the costs of it all. I would also need to see a media technician about booking an editing suite for a specific amount of time aswell.
For my production equipment I will need, lights, tripods, a dolly, shoulder cam, stabilisers, kit list cams, gels etc.
Post production equipment again includes Final Cut Pr X and an editing suite.
I belive hiring kit from other sources is better than renting from college although renting it from college would be more convenient due to the time limits and our budget. This is why I will be using college for equipment and post production facilities.
Materials
Copyrighting music is what protects the artist from people stealing it and claiming for themselves. This can cause lawsuits and problems and the copyright is breached. Royalty free music is music that can be use without any costs or problems for example some music that doesn't necessary make profit could be classed as royalty free. This means that royalty free music can be used in our shortfall with no costs or copyright law being breached.
Footage that we would be filming would be all original footage meaning that there is no copyright with it.
Clearance is when you pay for copyrighted music to be feature in a project for example if I wanted a song on the radio to be featured in my short film I would have to get it cleared with the record company for a price to use it and this could cost around £50 or more depending on the artist.
Contributors
As part of preproduction before I can shoot I will need to hire actors on top of my production team. I would need to search online for them to find the ones that suit the style of acting through different agencies, then I would like in my short film and if they fit my criteria.
I would then need to make my actors fill out a consent form to confirm that they are happy about themselves being film.
Starnow.co.uk is an ideal website for finding acting talent as it allows you to use different criteria to find the type of actor your need.
Location
It is suitable the genre of film I am making because it is in on of many conventional places to shoot a horror film, which is the woods. It is assessable for the rest of the team to get to as it is 5 - 15 minutes away from all of us. I would get this location by emailing the council or the place of the venue I would like to use for permission to film there. If I am then allowed I would need to perform a health and safety check on these places to see if it is suitable for my team to use.
Production managers source what is required through carrying out recess which is a visual inspection of the place for example going to see the location before hand and finding out the limitations and risks of the place, for example, finding out how to get the crew there and how much everything my possibly cost.
Codes of Practice and Regulation
Bibliography
Copyright - http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/musician-tips/what-is-a-musical-copyright/
Pass WT Merit
ReplyDeleteYou have not covered codes of practice or regulation required for the Pass, but refer to copyright.
You must explain the need for copyright clearances or at the very least that needed to meet the BBFC requirements